Thursday, September 1, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock

Ages ago I referenced chicken stock when I was making gumbo.  A few people asked me how I do it - well, it only took about 7 months but here you go.  It's so crazy easy and so much more flavorful than the box stuff you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner (or me for not telling you how).


Almost every time we get a rotisserie chicken, I put the remaining carcass - skin, bones, fat, everything - in a plastic ziploc and stick it in the freezer.  As needed, I pull them out to make stock.  


Cut up some onions, celery and carrots - or whatever you have on hand - just enough so they'll fit in your pot.  Don't even bother peeling them (well, maybe the onion).  No need to give yourself extra work here.  Keep in mind, you'll be straining and dumping them out later anyway.  


Throw the veggies and two thawed out carcasses into a big pot and fill it with water.  Add a bay leaf or two if you have them.  Since I use seasoned rotisserie chickens, I don't add any other spices and believe me - it doesn't need it.


Heat until it's almost boiling.  Cover.  Reduce the heat way down and let it simmer like that for a few hours.  3 or 4 is fine.  You could even pop it in the oven on low if you prefer.  


Warning - your house will smell insane!  Your spouse will propose all over again.  Your in-laws will think you could be the next Julia Child.  Your children will smile sweetly and do exactly as you say.  Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away.  But seriously, the deliciousness floating through your house should not be underestimated.  It's like a drug.


Back to reality.  Strain out the veggies.  Let it cool a bit and you can skim some of the fat off the top.  Package up into containers, freeze or use immediately.  


Depending on the size of your pot, you'll get 12-17 cups of delicious homemade chicken stock every time.


Delish.  And so easy!  Trust me.  You'll notice the difference.  And your family will too. 

1 comment:

  1. See, tonight I made something that needed chicken stock but I didn't have any. I just dumped a can of Dora chicken noodle soup in. That's the same right?

    ReplyDelete