Saturday, September 3, 2011

Just When You Think It's Safe

Just when you think you have things under control is exactly when you should be most afraid.


I had the kids for the entire last week by myself while Pat was in Africa for work.  Let's be honest - they are in daycare during the work week so it's really only the weekend that gets a little dicey.  Pat came home Friday morning and after a wonderful 24 hour reunion, left again this morning for the LSU game in Dallas.  What's one more day on my own with these two, right?


Never.  Ever.  Become too complacent with little ones.


Fletcher has ventured up the stairs.  Three times now.  He then snacked on some cat food.  Sydney peed on the floor.  While supposedly wearing a diaper.  Later she spilled a mystery liquid (hopefully not more pee) on the leather couch which seems to be leaving a terrible spot.  And she just now challenged me to the 40 yard barefoot dash.


Both kids were nicely playing and somewhat distracted.  So I thought.  I left the house for a moment - walked into the garage and down the driveway to bring in the garbage can.  My driveway is not all that long.  The whole thing shouldn't have taken more than 30 seconds.  But in those few seconds, Sydney saw her opportunity and made a run for it.  She stealthily came down the driveway, took a hard left and raced - barefoot and in a t-shirt and diaper (I've said before we don't believe in pants around here) - all the way to the end of our street while I (with pants, but barefoot) raced to catch her.  Amazing how fast her little legs can go.


My 30 second exit from the house had been extended a bit.  All the way home, with Sydney still giggling under my arm, I envisioned the trouble Fletcher might have found.  His entire head in the cat food bowl.  Or worse, in the garage.  Or even worse, the litter.  Thankfully, he found a sippy cup en route on the kitchen floor (how in the world did that get there) and had only moved a few inches from where I left him.


Phew.  Now to just keep them alive until Pat returns home again tomorrow.  Blogging during their waking hours is probably not helpful.


Update - the cat just puked under the end table.  

No comments:

Post a Comment