Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Those" people

Yep, it finally happened. We were "those" people.

It started out innocently enough. I took the kids to Chick-Fil-A for dinner. No, although it may seem so, I do not take them there every day or even every week. But it was Tuesday - kids eat free night - and Pat is out of town so I'm not cooking.

Tonight, the kids activity at CFA was play dough! Normally Sydney is content to just hang out and watch the kids do their thing but tonight she wanted to be right in the mix. I have not been brave enough to introduce play dough to our home and watching a bunch of little munchkins smash it into their clothes and onto the floor, I am none too eager to start! She was having a ball - playing with the molds, mixing the colors, folding and mashing and rolling the dough.

Aside from a few attempted nibbles of the stuff she was doing great. But it was getting late and Fletcher was beginning to get fussy so time to go. I should have known it wasn't going to be pretty when as I started cleaning up and put Fletcher in the carseat she started backing away and playing with renewed vigor. She was sending me clear warnings. Daring me to try and make her leave.

"Time to go home, Sydney."

She furrows her brow, shakes her head violently side-to-side and backs farther away from me, whining and gathering as much play dough as she can. Maybe she thinks I can't take her if she's holding the stuff?

I peel her fingers away from the play dough and scoop her up.

And that's when it happened.

Have you ever tried to hold a toddler who does not want to be held? They straighten and stiffen their body. Squirm and arch in every attempt to get out of your arms. Flailing arms, kicking feet. And the wailing. Oh my goodness. It's only made more difficult when you are also carrying another child.

Oh, how many times in my past single life have I watched a parent with a tantrum throwing toddler, full of all sorts of judgmental thoughts? And oh how things change when you have one of your own. The funny thing is, when I was in one of "those" moments, I really didn't notice any stares. Maybe it was because the place was full of understanding parents. Or maybe I didn't care. I just focused on getting out of there and into the car without dropping either child.

In the car, I had the realization I had just been one of "those" people. And I had a really good laugh!

2 comments:

  1. I've had to fireman carry many a child while juggling a baby. Acrobatics at their best.

    And I'm with you ... play dough, bubbles (because they spill causing tears) and helium balloons (because they pop or fly away causing tears) ... all on my dislike list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlowe - fireman carry is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete