Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kid Wrangling

I've said before that getting multiple kids in and out of the car may be one of the toughest problem solving skills ever. It's also a physical challenge. Case in point...

I was picking the kids up from daycare this afternoon. No easy feat with a 17 month old and a 4 month old heavyweight champ. Balancing Fletcher in his car seat, Sydney on my hip and all their stuff takes great skill and grace. And mighty powerful arms. Saving a lot on a gym membership right now.

Normally I am in flip-flops or tennis shoes. Appropriate kid wrangling clothes. Today, however, I had a business lunch and was still in my business garb and 3+ inch heels, taking the difficulty level up a notch.

Sydney, being the "big" girl and mommy's helper that she's becoming, was walking herself out to the car behind me. Carrying her own school bag too. It's her new thing. Big girl. Such a good girl. Until we got outside. All of a sudden, she caught the scent of freedom and, feeling a little extra spunky, took off in the opposite direction. I grabbed her arm and squatted down to do the one-arm pick-up of a kicking and squirming toddler, all the while pitching poor Fletcher back and forth in his car seat. Thank God he was strapped in.

At this point, Sydney had thrown her bag to the ground and was wiggling so badly I was about to be left holding only her shirt. Did I say wrangling these two required grace? Yeah, whatever.

So I put her back on the ground, explaining clearly that she had to follow me to the car. She is a smart girl and complied. For about 5 steps. Then turned and ran like the wind, howling with laughter all the way. Smart and devious. And fast.

After considering my options for half a second, I abandoned Fletcher there on the sidewalk and raced (in my 3+ inch heels) after Sydney. For some of my LA campaign friends, this will bring back some fond memories of another high-heeled race I participated in on a hot day in Baton Rouge. You would be proud to know I've still got it, boys! But I digress.

When I finally caught her, heaved Fletcher into the car with one arm and strapped Sydney in, all I could think was thank goodness she was on the sidewalk and not racing through the actual parking lot (terrifying thought). And thank goodness Fletcher still fits (barely) in the infant car seat. I think he may have to be old enough to file a written complaint before I stop stuffing him in there.

Kid wrangling. It's not for the meek. Or out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment