Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Favorite Things!

Wanna know what my favorite attraction is in Houston? No, it's not the zoo. Or the rodeo. There is no admission fee, although it generally is expensive to visit.

My favorite place is Central Market, the mega foodie grocery store in downtown Houston. It's the most amazing speciality/butcher/seafood/wine/cheese/bakery/deli/and-so-much-more market I've ever seen! It's like Whole Foods and Fresh Market, combined and on crack. It's food nirvana. It makes my head spin.

I was downtown anyway today for my annual exam (joy) and picking out fabric for dining room chairs (talk about making your head spin). I couldn't very well leave the vicinity without going to Central Market! After all, I had only been there once before and it was with both kids, one of which (you can guess who) was getting testy and didn't want to ride in the cart any longer. This is NOT a place for a toddler on the loose.

So I entered the doors today, completely unencumbered and free to wander with the very loose mission of purchasing lunch and figuring out dinner. It's a dangerous place for someone like me. Not only is the sheer variety of ingredients overwhelming, the whole experience will test every ounce of self control you may think you have. I could spend all afternoon in there, getting lost amid the aisles of cheese (yes, aisles is plural), fresh pastas, vinegars, oils, peppers, leafy greens, mushrooms... ok, I have to stop now.

Over an hour and a dozen different meal ideas later, I left in a food-induced haze and note to self to be more organized next time. And there will be a next time. Lots of them. The reality that a store like this is in my backyard is just beginning to sink in. I may need to get a second job to support my Central Market habit but I can't wait for all the exciting meals in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment