Friday, August 12, 2011

Under Construction

Please excuse the format of the blog for a while.  I'm playing around with different settings and trying to manipulate colors and margins and such when I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing.  Could be problematic.


My main goal is to better highlight photos that I post.  I mean, come on... that's really the reason we all read and look at blogs.  And photography has been an interest of mine for many years.  It's only more recently that I've really begun to actually do something about it.


Last fall after Fletcher was born, we bought a nice digital SLR camera.  The Nikon D90.  I love it.  Even in fully automatic mode it can make you feel like pro.  The images are so sharp and beautiful!  But I like to play and have spent a lot of time messing around with Shutter Speed, ISO, White Balance and my favorite - Aperture.  Sometimes I have great luck.  Other times not so much.  Mostly I'm just trying to capture special moments with the kids - and that's challenging enough!  Especially now that Sydney has an aversion to the camera.  She really has to be focused on whatever she's doing or else she will turn away the moment she senses a camera near.


I took a photography workshop earlier in the summer.  For the most part it was terrible and I didn't learn a thing from the "class" but it did force me to spend quality time with the camera.  I had plenty of time to adjust settings and try various settings on the same subject.  I still have a lot to learn and hopefully will find a better class to take later this year.


Often times this new hobby is an exercise in frustration but once in a while magic happens.  Last weekend was one of those moments.  I dressed Fletcher back up in his baptism outfit to take some pictures since we were a little rushed on the actual day of.  I took over 300 photos in hopes of getting one or two keepers.  Thank God for digital.  Here is a small sampling of what I captured.


Ideally, I wanted him standing to get a few full shots of his outfit.  Tough to do with a baby that cannot walk or stand yet.  I have high expectations of my kids.  


My set crew kept getting in the way.  It's hard to get good help these days. (BTW - if I could have figured out how to get two photos side by side I would have done that rather than having to photoshop them together - argh - blogging frustration).
Dang.  Lost my natural light at this angle.  I refuse to use the flash.  It's my mission in life to never use the flash.
Oh dear.  Wardrobe please!
What the heck is he looking at?  Over here Fletcher!!!  And where is wardrobe???
Then finally, it all came together.  My favorites...




And my personal favorite.
From time to time I'll share projects and frustrations I'm working on.  I welcome your comments, critiques, suggestions, ideas or personal favorites.  I need all the help and encouragement I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment