Sunday, January 23, 2011

My son is rotten

Warning - this is a total mom post.

There's sort of this unspoken rule among moms that all conversations must eventually turn to the topic of poop. So, being a mom, this post is about poop. But it's baby poop - a little more socially acceptable.

I was breastfeeding my son just now. I'm nearing the end of my breastfeeding days as I'm going back to work full-time and this is our last baby so I really cherish these moments. There is something very sweet about feeding your child - one of the many miracles of birth and motherhood that is hard to describe. I especially love feeding him before he goes to bed at night or early in the morning when the house is quiet, there's no pressure to be anywhere else or doing anything else (except maybe sleeping). It's just me and him. It's a sweet and fleeting time.

So anyway, I'm feeding him, looking at his angelic little face and precious hands... and then suddenly I am overwhelmed with a rank, rotten scent. I want to run away. Remember the phrase from your youth silent but violent? Yeah, that's him.

For some reason, about 6 weeks ago, he started only pooping once every 24 to 48 hours. Highly unusual for a 2 month old baby. It didn't seem to bother him but I called the pediatrician to see if I should be concerned. They said to try some karo syrup in his bottle but as long as he does eventually go, he's fine. Ok. We tried that for a few days but it didn't seem to help move things along any faster. I soon concluded this is apparently just the way he is made.

Hey, it's easier on me. Rarely do I worry about being prepared for the embarrassing blow-out in public or aggravation of never-ending laundry due to leaky diapers (now it's just due to spitting up). But man, does he generate some foul gas! This is no little baby toot either. There's nothing at all dainty or baby-like about what he's expelling into the air. And let me tell you, the closer he gets to that 48 hour mark, the more disgusting he gets. It will bring tears to your eyes. If it weren't a baby, you would hurl the offensive thing as far away from you as possible. He's 3 months old and can clear a room. He really should be required to wear a hazardous gas warning sign at all times.

Then it occurred to me - that he will think this is the coolest and funniest thing ever. For the rest of his life. Probably thank me for it too.

The offender...

No comments:

Post a Comment