Tuesday, April 10, 2012

We're ready Mama!

I'm always a little scared to share posts like this.  First, because I'm both a little horrified and a little amused.  And because I'm afraid Child Protective Services might come knocking at my door (admitting I'm a little amused might not help my case here - but I assure you the amusement came much much later).


So this morning, just after I snapped the cute photo of Sydney in her ballet outfit and gushed on Facebook over how Ballet Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, I proceeded to get myself ready for the day.

As many moms do, I showered and dressed while my kids ate breakfast, played and watched tv.  They were in and out of the bathroom with me during most of these activities.  Wanting to use my toothbrush, trying out lotions, turning faucets on, pushing each other and generally getting into trouble.  It was your average Tuesday morning. 


Until... I finished drying my hair and realized the house seemed awfully quiet.  A little too quiet.  


I called for Sydney a couple of times while I wandered around.  No answer.  But they have been known recently to try and hide - although their giggles give them away.


No giggles today.  


I walked upstairs to see what they were up to - in no particular hurry, picking up clothes and shoes and things on my way.  No sign of them in Fletcher's room.  Or the playroom.  Or Sydney's room.  


Hmmm.  This was a little odd.  Maybe they were hiding out in my office.  Oh yes, that must be it.  One of their favorite places they're not supposed to be!  I walked back down the stairs and peered into the office.  Not there either.  As I turned from the office, my eye caught the front door - it was UNLOCKED!


Sydney knows how to unlock the front door but she has only done it without one of us present once or twice and generally just stands on the landing, door wide open.


Not this time.  The door was unlocked but securely closed.  And no sign of the kids right outside.


Panic.


I ran to the sidewalk looking left and right.  To the right, I caught the faint glimpse of two small humans walking up the sidewalk.  Faint is key.  Those kids were far far away.  I realize I hadn't been quick to search the house for them, but I cannot believe how far down the street they had gotten!


There they were.  Sydney in her ballet outfit with a target bag in her hand.  Fletcher following dutifully behind.  Barefoot.


A car had just stopped across from them on the street and the woman called out "Are those your kids?" as she saw me sprinting down the sidewalk.  She helped corral them before they got further and turned them back in my direction.


When I finally reached them and started marching them back home, I asked Sydney, "where on earth were you going?"  


To which she flatly replied, "School.  We're ready Mama."

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I was thinking at first that the picture on facebook of Fletcher trying the key in the door lock must have been better than he'd planned :)

    ReplyDelete