Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hazards of Moving

I sat down to write about our newly decorated dining room but quickly realized I needed to take a step back and truly dedicate some time to what all this renovation/decoration means to me.


I have moved a lot.  Seriously.  I haven't lived at one address for more than 18 months since I left for college - 20 years ago.  You do the math.  It's exhausting to think about.  


I've had incredible experiences along the way and am fortunate to have precious friends scattered all over the U.S.  But there are some hazards to moving too.


First of all, have you ever had a potential identity theft issue and your bank or credit card needs to confirm you are who you say you are?  Do you know how many years of previous addresses they have on file for you?  More than I can remember, that's for sure.  It's embarrassing when I can't recall my address from 3 or 4 years ago.  I have to take crib notes with me when filling out financial documents requiring my residence for the last 5 years.  And I always have to use the extra space provided on the back (it's even worse when they ask for employment history).


Next, you just get tired and ready to plant roots somewhere.  Especially with kids.  We've moved twice now with them.  Even with an enormous amount of help in our last move, it's not easy.  I want our kids to have friends and feel a sense of community.  Don't get me wrong - I don't have any notions that lots of moving would be harmful - quite the contrary, I think it's probably a wonderful thing to experience new places and cultures and learn to rebuild.  But would it hurt to stay put for just a while?  No.


Third (a biggie) - it's expensive.  Boxes, movers/rental vans, deposits, repairs, closing costs, etc.  I always feel like I'm in financial recovery from a move.


Another hazard is that no one ever has your current mailing address.  One of my favorite things in the whole world is receiving Christmas cards.  When you move as much as I do, the pile of cards begins to dwindle year after year.  The post office will only forward to one address and friends get tired of tracking you down.  Every year I'm on a crazy mission to get my Christmas card out before everyone else simply so you'll know where I now reside.


Side note - thank GOD for Facebook, Twitter, this blog, etc.  Say what you will about social media - but I feel so connected with my family and friends who are far away.  It allows me to share so much with them that I would otherwise miss.  We get to reconnect with old friends, celebrate joys together, hurt with them as they go through tough times, pray for them as needed, share advice, recipes, funny stories - and certainly not least - share the best and worst moments of raising kids.


But one final yet subtle hazard of moving - one that only dawned on me recently - is that you never really get to settle down and build up a collection of furniture or accessories.  It's best to travel light when you move as often as I do.  For years a lot of my stuff sat in storage.  I've even moved it from one storage unit to another.  Believe it or not, my storage unit moves were the most complicated of them all.  Most of all, you never get to decorate.  Other than slapping a fresh coat of paint on a wall or two, I haven't ever decorated a home I have lived in.  


When we moved to Houston, I said this was it.  I am not going anywhere again any time soon.  I'm done.  I love this house and I'm finally ready to make this our home.


So, with the great help of my friend and neighbor who is a mommy-retired interior designer, I have been slowly but surely putting this house together.  Pat too - he gets very involved.  And while incredibly frustrating at times (I am not very good at this and second guess myself all. the. time) I'm having a BALL!  I love to step back, watch the progress and envision what is to come.


We hung curtains last week.  It was a big moment.  I felt like an adult.  Curtains.  Oh, and what a difference they made!


If When we stay in this home through the summer, it will be the longest I have lived in one place since 1992.  THAT will be worthy of celebration.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! So true...and I'm proud to have shared one of those addresses with you for <1.5 years! :) Enjoy your decorating Mandy!

    ReplyDelete