Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Before and After - The Bedroom

Nearly a year after I first began this project, it's finished.  Almost.  Although it is 90% done, it may very well take me another year to finish the final 10% so time to share some photos.

It's been a year full of home refreshment.  You may recall the other before/after projects we've done around here.  There was the cabinet refinish.  Then the dining room.   And the chair - which has now made it's way into our bedroom!

Here was our bedroom before.  Functional but blah.  Boring builder beige paint, no window coverings, nothing on the walls and random exercise equipment (collecting dust).




And the after!!!

We painted the walls a soft gray, replaced the carpet with beautiful hardwood that now runs through our bedroom, living room and dining room.  Got a new bed, bedding, bedside tables, drapery and lamps!  Whew.  Total overhaul.  The walls are still a bit bare but I'll get to that eventually.

The lamps (a TJMaxx find) were originally for the dining room but ended up being too big.  Perfect for the bedroom though!  And this bedside table (again TJMaxx) was one of my favorites.  My designer/neighbor friend found it and only partially convinced me over the phone we had to have it.  Sometimes I'm a hard-headed idiot.  She was so sure, she bought it, hauled it to our house and of course it was perfect!
Finding an appropriate "match" for the other side of the bed wasn't so easy.  And was made inordinately more complicated by my own online ordering incompetence.  

I'll bore you with the details.  

Once I finally settled on a simple covered round table, I found the perfect solution on Ballard Designs.  Easy peasy.  Ordered.  Done.  Then it arrived.  Apparently I never measured.  Or else completely ignored my measurements (this was a theme - had similar measuring issues with drapery but will spare you those details).  It was the size of a breakfast table.  WAAAAYYYY to big for this space.  Plus, the color of the tablecloth was way off!  Of course, returning something that large isn't so easy.  But I packed it back up and shipped it off.  Measured... and ordered the replacement on the same day.

Sometime that night, it occurred to me that I recalled seeing two different heights offered for that table.  Oh no!  Could I have possibly ordered the wrong one - again?  Oh yes, I did.  Called Ballard.  Too late to cancel shipping.  Another return.  Another order.  This time, it was on back order.

Finally, at least three months after the process began, I received my new bedside table.  Tablecloth color is still not quite right but it will do.  And less than a week later there appeared a mysterious Nutella smudge on the tablecloth.  I figure after it's washed a few times it should be just right.  
  We love our new space!
This floor lamp is still trying to find a permanent home - it has lived in our living room, the office and is settled in here - for now.
I'm pretending in these photos that the hideous exercise bike is no longer present.  Sadly, here it rests.  I moved it a dozen times to get just the right shot of the otherwise pristine bedroom.  Neighbors, if you're interested, it just might show up in the garage sale this weekend!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment