Saturday, November 26, 2011

Slippery Slope

Oh, I have so much blogging to do.  So much to catch up on.  Thanksgiving and Cousins and general Fraher fun.  But it will have to wait.  First a confession.  


I have committed the ultimate betrayal of my heritage.


I should have known I was headed down a slippery path of no return when I first used instant mashed potatoes.  It starts small and innocent with things like starchy foods but sure enough you slowly start to chip away at the essence of you. 


My confession?  I bought an artificial Christmas tree today!  GASP!  Oh the shame!


Think I'm being dramatic?  My family grew Christmas trees from seed to sapling for most of my childhood.  For me, the classic fir tree is as pure to Christmas as Jesus (almost).  I truly grew up believing that fake Christmas trees were a reflection of ones commitment to the sacred holiday.  This action is nothing to take lightly.


But after too many years beyond the borders of NC, in barren fraser fir land, spending far too much for far too pitiful trees - I joined legions of other fake Christmas tree celebrators.  I started thinking about it a week or so ago - afraid to actually verbalize my sinful thoughts.  But I never imagined it would all happen so fast.  I saw it on Craigslist and - BOOM - the next thing you know it was mine.  Remarkably, I wasn't struck with lightning after my purchase.  And the kids had a ball helping us put the whole thing together.  Hmmm.  Doesn't feel so fake after all.




Still, it will take some time to get used to the idea I'm a fake Christmas tree kind of girl.  I will miss the scent of a fresh tree.  No Yankee Candle will do.  We haven't finished decorating, but it's not too bad.

And we haven't forgotten the true celebration either.

Now just to keep his little paws off.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, this made me laugh about the slippery slope :) I had to cave to the fake tree with three kids and pregnant and cleaning up the dry pine needle spray all over my living room in January, was just too much.

    And it does start with the instant potatoes :)

    And one day, you're picking up fried chicken at the grocery store deli, rushing home to transfer it to a more "homemade" container and taking it to a sick friend and guiltily passing it off as authentic southern fried chicken made at the hands of a true southern gal.

    It's just the beginning ... no turning back now.

    ReplyDelete