Sunday, October 9, 2011

Best Cookies Ever!


Best. Cookies. Ever!


That is what Pat declared after tasting these pumpkin glazed cookies I made this weekend.  And while he's quite the connoisseur of anything sweet, he's not a big fan of pumpkin.  So this was saying A LOT!


All the credit goes to the infinitely talented New Orleans Chef Susan Spicer.  Her restaurant, Bayona, in New Orleans is my very favorite!  If you're ever in the city, you must try for yourself - but make reservations well in advance - it's a small, intimate place and she books up quickly!


This recipe comes from her cookbook Crescent City Cooking.  A cookbook definitely worth the buy.  And one, ironically, I have yet to buy.  I am working with a copy I took hostage from my neighbor's a few weeks ago.  They're gonna have to pay a hefty ransom to get it back.


Not only does this cookbook look pretty amongst your collection it is full of honestly good and accessible recipes for anyone!!!  Check out page 67 for the Spicy Shrimp with Tasso Cream and Green Chile Grit Cakes.  And page 149 for the Herbsaint Shrimp and Tomato Bisque (full disclosure, I did not make this, but those same neighbors did and sent us a sample - OMG).


When it comes to sweets, I am a sucker for pumpkin and the spices of fall.  This cookie IS fall in your mouth!!!  It's moist and sweet and so delicious we've already been through two batches (sharing with friends, of course).


Here it is (and my notes/edits)...


Old-fashioned Glazed Pumpkin Cookies
Susan Spicer, Crescent City Cooking


2 sticks unsalted butter 
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 can pumpkin puree*


2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


Cream the sugar and butter.  Add the egg.  Add the pumpkin and mix well.


In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and baking soda.


Slowly add the dry to the wet and mix well.  Spoon cookies by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet.**  And I always use parchment paper under my cookies when baking!


Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.***


ICING!****
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons water


Mix together and when the cookies are cool, drizzle over with a fork... or smear on top of each one.  Whatever you prefer.


*As I was writing this post, I realized the recipe actually only calls for 1 cup of the pumpkin puree.  I used the whole can.  Clearly it turned out just fine.  Maybe even more moist than it would have been otherwise.  
**The cookies do not spread much at all so if you want pretty cookies, you should probably use an ice cream scoop to achieve a smoother finish.  In our ice-cream-scoopless house, taste won out over presentation.
***The recipe says to bake for 12 minutes.  This was never enough in my oven.  15-18 seemed more reasonable.  Perhaps due to the extra pumpkin puree in mine???
****The recipe calls for only half of this icing.  It's not quite enough in my opinion so I doubled it.


Syd was a big helper and a huge fan of the batter!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I forgot to ask you for the recipe! I am totally going to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete